San Antonio Independent School District
News & Features
- Board Meeting: Monday, December 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
- Coming Attractions - Dec. 6, 2013
- While supplies last: award-winning student holiday cards for sale
- Ag in the City at Burbank HS video
- Take a look at the new Neal School Park
- Scrabble spells out fun learning for SAISD wordsmiths
- SAISD launches mobile app: Get it now!
- Flu Prevention Tips
- Coding comes to Highlands HS via 80/20 Foundation
- Application timeline change for SAISD charter schools
- Check out SAISD Magnets; Applications now accepted
JT Brack ES Takata
The Crash Test Dummy mascot from Takata San Antonio, which manufactures safety equipment for vehicles, speaks to JT Brackenridge ES 2nd-graders on Dec. 6 about proper seat belt usage and other vehicle safety information.
Burbank HS Food Bank
Viviana Cruz, De Zavala ES parent and family liaison (right), and parents brave the cold to assist in SAISD’s participation in the San Antonio Food Bank’s distribution at Burbank HS.
Barkley-Ruiz ES PAL Irma Angels Food Drive
Barkley-Ruiz ES PAL members sort food items for the Irma’s Angels Food Drive. Collecting food is a yearly event as part of the group’s community service projects.
Beacon Hill ES trip to Austin
Beacon Hill ES 4th-graders gather in the Texas Senate during a recent trip to Austin that ties into their lessons about Texas history. The students also have been learning about higher education and visited UT Austin on the trip.
Lanier Police Explorers Induction Ceremony
Joining the ranks of the Lanier HS Police Explorers are two dozen new members. The aspiring law enforcement officers were inducted during a recent ceremony.
Mission Penny Wars
Students comprising the Mission Academy Student Leadership Team gather and display information about the results of the school’s Penny War – in a week, the school collected over $1300 in pennies to provide holiday meals for 20 families.
Parents and family members of GEAR UP students (9th-graders) mingle at a tamalada held for them at Café College on Dec. 5. The event featured food, games, giveaways and important college information. GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.
Longfellow holiday play
Longfellow MS theater arts teacher Elise Lopez coaches her students during a rehearsal of the school's production of “Yes Virginia," which they will perform the evening of Dec. 6.
Highlands HS with pitcher Blair Luna
The Highlands HS softball team and NHS members pose with USSSA Pride pitcher Blair Luna while attending the GoPlayGirls softball game. The contest pitted professionals against college players.
Woodlawn ES visit SA Express-News
Woodlawn ES 4th-graders learn about newspaper production during a visit to the San Antonio Express-News on Dec. 5. The students also learned about the writing process, information they put to use in writing about their experience at the paper.
HDTV’s Jordan Capella visits Jefferson HS
Board President Ed Garza, Jefferson HS principal Orlando Vera (right) and students meet HDTV’s Jordan Capella, who visits the school while in town to film area houses.
Huppertz ES Children's Book Project
San Antonio Area Retired Teachers Book Committee member Carrie Mayfield helps Huppertz ES 5th-grades select a book through the Children's Book Project. All 5th-graders got books to keep.
|Previous||Hover over image above with your cursor
to pause photo frame.
EXPLORE SAISD More>>
UPCOMING EVENTS More>>
- December 09 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 - January 03 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 - March 14 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 Last Day of School